In the real estate world, modern commercial buildings can be classified as A+, A, B and C.
The differences in the above-mentioned classes are not primarily based on quality criteria, but rather a combination of criteria that at the same time evaluate the position of the location, equipment quality or additional services within the same area.
Of course, the mentioned categories also entail differences in the sale/rental price, if an object of these classes is sold or if these spaces are rented.
Class A Buildings
A-class office buildings are those that meet the requirements listed below.
At the same time, they can be marked as A+ or AA, which are even higher than A class.
This is used for generally highly modern, green-certified office buildings located in attractive locations.
- Modern cabling
- Raised floors/drop ceiling
- Modern air conditioning system
- Roofed parking space for vehicles
- Parking spaces / square meters:
- In the city -1:100
- In the center – 1:75
- Outside the center and on the periphery – 1:50
- Exceptional first level of realization
- Facility management, 24-hour reception and service
- At least 1,000 square meters of space for rent
- Fast, modern elevator
- Entrance door of the office: at least 2.65 meters
- High-quality reception area
- The possibility of creating flexible offices
- High quality of architectural plans
- Services in the building or nearby
- Constant current voltage or double input
- Windows with double glass or blackout glass
Class B Buildings
Class B office spaces are generally a bit older, but still have quality management.
Very often, value-added investors target these buildings as investments, as well-located Class B buildings can be restored to their Class A glory through renovations such as facades and improvements to common areas.
Class B facilities should generally not be functionally obsolete and should be well maintained.
Class B office buildings are those that are missing some of the requirements of class A building including:
- They do not have modern cabling
- They do not have an air conditioning system
- They do not have a covered parking space
- They do not have a satisfactory quality of realization
- They do not have facility management, 24-hour reception and security services
- They have less than 750 square meters of office space for rent
If a building does not have any of these elements, it usually belongs to class B.
Class C Buildings
The lowest classification of commercial buildings and premises is Class C.
These are older buildings (usually over 20 years old), and are located in less desirable areas and require extensive renovation.
Architecturally, these buildings are the least desirable, and the infrastructure and technology are outdated.
As a result, Class C buildings have the lowest rental rates, take the longest time to lease, and are often targeted for redevelopment opportunities.
This is only a general guideline for the classification of buildings.
There is no formal international standard for building classification, but one of the most important things to consider in relation to building classification is that buildings should be viewed in context and in relation to other buildings within the market; A class A building in one market cannot be a class A building in another.
The characteristics used for comparing and ranking buildings are accepted in the world.
- Number and speed of elevators
- Server room
- Safety and life safety infrastructure
- Ceiling heights
- Floor load capacity
- Access (highway, public transport)
- Construction, improvement of common space
- Facilities nearby and/or on site (dry cleaning, restaurants, ATM, etc.)
The usual additional facilities of modern office buildings were until recently exclusively oriented to the food and beverage sector, while contemporary trends in new lifestyles, needs and the development of society are pushing the boundaries, and thus, in addition to bars and restaurants, they are increasingly common in office buildings across the world.
Also gyms with small wellness centers, kindergartens, beauty salons, and car washes can be found in high-quality office buildings.
The work of a modern human is organized in such a way that transportation within the framework of daily activities takes more and more time.
The tendency to move from central city areas to parts of the surrounding settlements in the world experienced the opposite direction precisely because of the time spent in traffic, which tends to increase.
In this sense, modern business facilities strive to influence the quality of life of their users through their additional facilities, nurturing the lifestyle concept and promoting as much free time as possible.
The idea of such content ensures that users can complete most of their daily or weekly duties during their working day and devote their free time to their social life.
Also, world trends reflect ideas in furnishing office buildings in a way that reflects a family atmosphere, all with the goal of greater satisfaction among workers and their greater productivity.
Increasing attention is being paid to both energy efficiency and the relationship to the environment, and an increasing number of office buildings are energy efficient, certified, that is, green buildings are being built.
The concept of a green office building represents a modern way of managing processes in the building and is based on energy efficiency and environmental protection.
By managing devices from a centralized location, 30% to 50% energy savings are achieved.
Adjusting lighting, heating and air conditioning, controlling devices from a remote location is a basic prerequisite for saving energy in office buildings.
The light in the office, hall or corridor will be dimmed or turned off if no one is moving in that area, and will turn on when there is any movement.
Automation in commercial buildings can control:
- Lighting management
- Management of blinds, awnings and curtains
- Management of devices in a business facility
- Air conditioning and heating management
- Management of garage doors, gates and ramps
- Watering system management
- Alarm system
- Video surveillance
- Management of the sequence of events in the company – Program scenarios.
The space of modern office buildings is designed in such a way that it provides the usual unrestricted possibilities to the user and allows him to adapt the space to his needs.
Not infrequently on the market there are requests for renting out the shell and core state of the office space, but there is also a demand for fit out by investors.